Custom Search


General Advice for Visitors to the UK

Driving - EU driving licence or international driving permits are required. You will need your car registration documents and insurance policy. And don't forget, drive on the left.

Electricity - Power in Britain is a 230VAL 50 Hz three pin plug system. Adaptors are available at ferry ports, airports, and at high street stores such as Boots.

Telephone - To dial a number in the UK use the international code 00, followed by the national code 44, and then the regional code omitting the first 0, and finally the number you require. For example the number 01634 654321 would be dialed as 00 44 1634 654321

To dial out of the UK use the international code 00, the national code for the country you require, for example 33 for France, followed by the regional code, once again omitting the first 0, and then the number you require.

Telephone boxes in the UK accept telephone cards, and sometimes credit cards. Some boxes offer e-mail and internet access. If you have a problem dial the UK operator on 100.

Emergencies - In an emergency dial 999. This number is only for genuine medical emergencies, or emergencies requiring assistance from police or fire and rescue services. If you require non-urgent medical advice ring NHS Direct on 0845 46 47, or go to a pharmacy. It is a good idea to store an In Case of Emergency number in the address book of your mobile phone. This can be shortened to ICE, an acronym that many paramedics look for if they need to contact someone about a person involved in an accident.